Soups...healthy & delicious!
LORI'S GUT & IMMUNE HEALING SOUP
DETOXES & tastes
Read the DID YOU KNOW section below to find out why my soup is so good for you!
3/4-1 cup butternut squash
1 1/2 cup of kale
3/4 cup fresh cilantro or more
1/4 cup fresh parsley
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
2 inches of fresh ginger root, grated
1/2 rib of celery
3 TBSP pumpkin seed protein powder (Omega Nutrition brand is very good)
1 TBSP cold-pressed organic flaxseed or olive oil
1/2 tsp turmeric or add fresh root
Light sprinkle of ground black pepper corn - to activate the curcumin in the turmeric
Sea salt to taste!
1. Cook butternut squash in a pressure cooker to help remove lectins. Wash, slice in amounts you want and then set pressure cooker for
6-8 minutes. (The lectins are mostly in the peel and seeds though) The pressure cooker brings out the flavour, and prevents nutrient loss.
2. Crush garlic cloves and allow to sit for 10 minutes while preparing the rest, to bring out the Allicin. See DID YOU KNOW at the bottom!
3. Chop up the kale, cilantro, parsley, celery and grate the ginger root. Throw it all in a small pot with a couple inches of water (about a cup or bit more. I don't like too much liquid. More of a thick soup)
4. Bring to a boil, and turn off the element. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes. This prevents nutrient loss. **The longer you heat foods the less nutrients you will have in them.
5. Blend in a Ninja or Vitamix all that you have in the pot for a few seconds. If you would like it more pureed then blend longer.
6. Pour it in a large bowl. Peel and remove the seeds from the butternut squash (easy to remove) then but it into cubes and add it to the bowl.
7. Add the pumpkin seed protein powder , flaxseed or olive oil, and turmeric, pepper and sea salt. *Optional - add nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy flavour. If you have histamine issues, I would leave it off as it is a highter histamine food.
DID YOU KNOW...There is compound in GARLIC called ALLICIN! When garlic is crushed and allowed to sit for 10 minutes or so, it helps to brings out the allicin and boosts the level. It may help EASE INFLAMMATION and BLOCK FREE RADICALS that harm cells and tissues in your body. The compound is one of the main active components of garlic and what gives it its distinct taste and scent.
Allicin may help guard against health issues like HEART DISEASE and CANCER. It may also protect against blood vessel damage by helping to lower your blood sugar, and cholesterol.
DID YOU KNOW...KALE IS A SUPER FOOD... an ANTIOXIDANT SUPERSTAR! Kale is a nutritional powerhouse packed with antioxidants such as vitamin C, beta-carotene, kaempferol and quercetin. As a result of its high antioxidant content, kale is one of the vegetables with the highest ORAC rating. The health benefits of kale go well beyond providing a truckload of vitamins and minerals; this superfood is packed with phytonutrients such as glucosinolates and flavonoids as well. Thanks to its broad nutritional profile, kale is thought to help fight cardiovascular disease, asthma, and rheumatoid arthritis; to prevent several types of cancer and pre-mature aging of the skin; and to promote the health of the urinary tract.
DID YOU KNOW...GREENS help you DETOX!! Especially kale, cilantro, parsley and celery
DID YOU KNOW...TURMERIC has major benefits for your body and brain. Turmeric contains compounds with MEDICINAL PROPERTIES. These compounds are called curcuminoids. The most important one is CURCUMIN. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
DID YOU KNOW... PARSLEY, a bitter herb, and GINGER ROOT are very good for DIGESTION!
After all...WE ARE WHAT WE DIGEST!!!